Friday, October 21, 2005

Skype Internet Telephone

You've all received an email from me about Skype. This is an internet telephone system which I have downloaded and added to my machine at work. It will allow you to see when I am on-line and, if you should choose to do so, to speak to me directly--for free. I should point out to you that this is really completely optional. As one of you has pointed out to me already:
One of the benefits of this course, as well as its limitations, as we've already
discussed, is the means by which we communicate. For the last few weeks I have
really enjoyed having the luxury of deliberate thought, knowing that my every
interaction with this course has been an opportunity for a deliberate and
prepared statement. I have regretted very little of what I have written to date
because I have had this liberatingly limited communication opportunity.

On the other hand, some conversations are more efficient spoken than written. (Case in point: I had to think about whether the preceding sentence was grammatical or not). In short, it's another communication tool available to you. Use it or don't, as you prefer.









2 comments:

Nick Dymond said...

What an absolutely inspired thing to say! 'Liberatingly limited' indeed. Whoever pointed that out to you will go far.
You are quite correct however, or at least I think so, some conversations are more effective spoken than written. I'm not so sure about efficient though. Despite it usually taking more time to think through what you want to say when commiting to text (not to mention having to physically type it), at least it doesnt 'waste' valuable time with too much social nicety and other embellishment. This is what I like about online dialogue - you can cut the BS and get stuck right in there. Liberated by limitation indeed!

Despite all of that though, I for one will almost certainly be taking up the Skype opportunity in due course (once I've rigged up a mic to my PC). Anything that improves comms is good. Being misunderstood can be a frustrating thing.

David J. Betz said...

Yes, that particular correspondent is really insightful. More 'effective', absolutely, that's what I meant, not necessarily more efficient.