Monday, November 07, 2005

On Marking

I've been marking your short essays as we go along and have already sent back to several of you your papers. Bearing in mind that almost none of you are taking this course having just completed a first degree, most of you are in full-time employment, and some of you have never studied in the British system (let alone at King's) I thuoght I'd say a word or two about marking.

First, I should say that all, or most, of this is explained in your Student Handbook. I do find, however, that students either don't read it or, more likely, when they look at the marking scheme which is laid out there they have difficulty working what exactly it means in practical terms. So, for what it's worth, this is the what I look for when I am marking a paper in order of importance.
  1. Does it engage with the question? This is not the same thing as answering the question which is actually less important. There's almost never a single right answer in social sciences or history; and you probably already know my answer because I've stated it in the discussion forum. Moreover, most questions need to be further broken down and interrogated themselves before you start answering them. This is what I mean by 'engaging' with a question. When I get the sense that you are really grappling with the complexity of something then I look very favourably upon the paper.
  2. In the same vein as above, is it internally coherent and critically analytical? By which I mean does it systematically and in detail examine all the logically necessary elements for a convincing critique?
  3. Is it empirically sound? This is not simply getting your facts right, althuogh that is a part of it. It means providing enough evidence to support the argument being made. (And exercising some judgement about the quality of some evidence).
  4. Does it suggest a fluency with the main debates in the secondary literature?
  5. Is it well organized and well-presented?

Now some practical points which may interest you.

  1. All your essays are marked twice and potentially three times. First, I mark it. Then I pass it on to a colleague who marks it again, at which point we resolve any disagreement between ourselves. Then it is forwarded to an external examiner who will read a selection of essays to ensure that the process is fair and that procedures are being followed adequately and uniformly as possible.
  2. What you get back from me is a provisional mark or 'first mark'; it may change depending on the 2nd and external marker. This is why your essay cover sheet comes back to you with an indication of grade 'fail' >50, 'pass' 50-60, 'merit' 60-70 or 'distinction' 70+ but not a percentage mark.
  3. In the British system marks are typically much lower as a percentage than in the US or Canada. In Britain 70 is a very good mark; in North America it's not very good at all. If you are American add, say, 20 per cent to translate. There are formulas for doing this but for me that's a rule of thumb that works more or less.

No comments: