Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stop coming to work and save the planet

As I'm working at home today and have spent the morning happily and productively teaching on-line, marking and clearing up some administration this proposal makes perfect sense to me:
The Institute of Directors is calling for flexible hours and more home working to help tackle global warming.
For what it's worth I think the Cult of Global Warming is increasingly, well, cult-like, and therefore my desire to work from the comfort of my sofa has nothing to do with 'saving the planet' and everything to do with the facts that: a) I get more done, and b) it doesn't require me to contribute a penny to the bulging coffers of First Great Western, undoubtedly the worst rail company in Britain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe First Great Western has actually been officially voted the worst rail service in Britain, on the basis of declining performance standards.

Oddly enough, I've always found the service on Virgin Trains to be perfectly good, in spite of its terrible reputation. In fact, I think the overall train service from Edinburgh to London is pretty good. The main problem is that the prices are absolutely ridiculous, unless you're in the happy position of being able to book over a month in advance.

Had I got PhD funding, I had considered moving out from Pimlico to somewhere a bit cheaper, but frankly the Underground service has been so unreliable of late that I'm thinking twice. Especially over the weekends the entire system seems to grind to a halt. If I end up in London for a Masters I think I'll stay put.