Monday, September 12, 2005

Name that blog

It's just a few days now until the course starts and so with nothing else to do to prepare I am going around my 'virtual classroom' dusting off the chairs and straightening up the blackboard while waiting for students to arrive. I've been thinking about a name for my Blog. Initially, I'd given it the eponymous title 'Betz Blog' which, while literal, lacked 'zing'. Clearly, a temporary, placeholding name for what ought to be a hotbed of intellectual commentary. I then, after considering a variety of militarily metaphorical options, came up with 'The Parapet' which has a certain military flavour to it and in at least one sense reflects the way I intend to use it which is as a protected position from which to observe and, occasionally, throw hand grenades. Strictly speaking, thuogh the pedagogic logic of this approach would no doubt strike those who like to talk of pedagogy as somewhat suspect (one is not encouraged to 'explode' the arguments of one's students). Therefore, I have resolved on the title you see above: The Observation Post. Because, for the most part, that is what I'll be doing (which doesn't mean I won't fling the odd grenade from time to time).

UPDATE: Reading through the Induction I note that I have ignored our own injunction to include one's surname in the Blog Title which rather brings me back full circle. Hmmm... it's OP Betz, then!

No comments: