Thursday, August 16, 2007

Check out the Carbon Footprint on this baby

Army Vehicle Could be Iraq's First Hybrid

There are obvious and excellent reasons why armed forces should invest in more fuel efficient vehicles. The guys driving big, soft, fuel tankers must be the loneliest orphans of the non-linear battlefield. I'm a big believer in what Richard Simpkin referred to in his classic Race to the Swift as 'Mobility of the Boot'. (Says the guy writing while sitting on his sofa). But you can't walk every place and there's just way too much gear to be carried. Mechanical transport is always going to be required and so vehicles like the above seem a good compromise.

But that's not why I'm blogging it. Truth be told: I want one! When will the civvy version of this appear? Does it come with child seats? I am at the stage in life where I need to be driving a ruggedized military vehicle called 'The Aggressor'. It helps too that it is a convertible and environmentally friendly.

1 comment:

Daniel Ford said...

Cute, all right! But I'll bet the US Army goes with this variant.

When I first saw it, I showed it to a Vietnam veteran who shook his head and said: "Where's the alacrity with this thing?"

Alacrity will likely give way to armor against roadside bombs.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford